Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Discoveries that make you go...

I read an article today about a topic that is near and not so dear to my heart. It came about as a result of doing some self analysis. I have been doing quite a bit of that lately. Here's what I discovered: The reason that I don't seem to get any where with my dreams and desires is that I have a HUGE problem with..... procrastination.

Cringe with me if you will. The two biggest aspects of procrastination that I deal with are fear and perfectionism. The fear causes doubt in me, brings up all the things that could go wrong, and makes everything look like a gargantuan mountain that I must climb on my own. The perfectionism tells me that I must know how to do everything well before I start out on trying to accomplish it. This would explain why I have tons of books on business and music, but have yet to make any real headway in either.

I can gain all the knowledge in the world about a subject, but until I put feet to the idea, the true learning does not begin. My enemy is the belief that I can't make a living doing the things that I love. I want to destroy this enemy, take it out with a vengeance and begin the true process of learning. The time for talk and gathering information is over, the time to start walking it out has arrived. This evening is the dawn of a change (kind of sounds like an oxymoron, evening, dawn). Doubt must die on this day that celebrates death.

3 comments:

Red said...

But at least you know what you would like to do with your life, and that's a massive asset because you can then direct all your energies towards that goal and make it happen. Good luck!

Avid Andy said...

i was going to comment earlier, but i put it off because i didn't know what to say. procrastination is usually worse than what you are avoiding.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

this is an AWESOME post, and i must say... AMEN to everything you said about procrastination. it is my best friend and my worst enemy. the fear... the perfectionism... more of the fear that whatever i do will be far less than perfect.

yep. that's my problem, too.