Monday, October 22, 2007

Learning

I can feel my blood flowing as I'm standing there coaxing my strings into a tuned position. I know their eyes are on me, but I feel a strange calm despite. The sounds of the world turn muffled as I step to the microphone, and for a brief moment the world stands still and I can feel and hear beyond what should be capable. I hear every string sing it's piece of the puzzle, and I feel the air fill my lungs and diaphragm. In that seemingly unending moment there is a strange realization that you are committed to it whether you like it or not. You pray that your voice compliments the handiwork of your fingers, and the world suddenly slides back to its usual rhythm.

You sense every emotion heightened beyond reason and all crammed together in unexplainably close time. Panic of being off tune, joy at seeing someone mouth the words, a dubious sensation at someone with an awkward look on their face. It happens so clearly, so definitely, but all within the context of realizing that you are simultaneously doing a another complete process. Practice becomes second nature, and those familiar words and chords deliver themselves into the ears of those who will judge them through their own filter of perspective. You release it to them to do with as they please, and hope that it draws them into your emotions and the world that you have experienced and captured in the songs you've penned.

The processes switch and the words and music become an encompassing force that leads you into the depths of meaning and time those words and melodies evoke. Hope that as those words kiss their ears, it becomes their story, it becomes their song. We can then share an intimacy that goes beyond what you are able to see or touch... a place that allows us all to grow and learn more of one another.

5 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

this is beautiful. if you play, sing, write as beautifully as you spell it out... i'm sure it's incredible.

i like this post.

Sheamus the... said...

great post man...i feel ya.

Krystal Dawn said...

yep...hopeless romantic in all aspects of life (especially those hot dates you haven't told me about!) JJ you gotta fill a sista in. All that we've been through I would think this is something you wouldn't forget to tell me...
No, seriously, I'm very happy for you. Emma said you seem very excited. You realize that it's manditory for her to have some Vitamins E&K in her life right? YOu should explain that to her.
Call me.

Avid Andy said...

yeah... why have you been keeping these hot dates from us?

Unknown said...

http://spiritinthewildwood.blogspot.com/