Sunday, February 10, 2008

On a lighter note

I've been posting some soul-searching, smack-you-in-the-face-until-you-say-uncle kind of stuff here lately. So for this week's post I'd like to talk about a little lighter subject affectionately known as "rocking your face off".

Two bands that I had the privilege of absorbing here in recent history are captains of said title. Each has a unique sound, but both bring it with equal conviction that causes you to remember what it is that makes you love the live music experience.

For these two bands it must be said, the recordings do them no justice. I'm sorry but there is just something that is missing from a recording. I do love CDs and downloading albums, it allows you to hear music that you would never maybe get to hear in a live situation, I.E. Frank Sinatra.. who in my opinion is the bomb shnizzle, but I'll post about that later. No these two bands are from the Southeast region of the united states and are growing their fan bases through touring their butts off and giving us face time with should be rock stars(Minus the ego and snotty attitude).

The Urban Sophisticates is a live hip hop ensemble that will have you ready to move the moment they take the stage. Incredible stage presence and energy mixed with talented musicians gives you a flavor that will linger in your earbuds for days to come. If ever they come to your area be sure to check them out. Always a fun show. And if you like them, invite them to come to your area. I can tell you from a musicians perspective; as an independent artist, we need and appreciate all the help we can get.

Next up, but not last... Dub Conscious. They are out of the Athens area. My brother has been talking these guys up for a long time, and I finally had the chance to sample the sights and sounds of this reggae band recently. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a huge reggae fan, so for me to suggest them to you means that they're pretty frickin' amazing. Again if you get the chance, see them.

That's all for now, but please.. let me know of any bands that you would suggest for me, I always love hearing about new artists on the rise.

2 comments:

Soulina said...

I have loved Sinatra since I was in High School...could listen to him every day!
I will have to think about who to recommend for a bit and get back to you. I listen to such a variety it takes me forever to pick just a few. I will definitely be checking out the regae band.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

both sound great... and i'm with you on the live music thing.

the most amazing band i've seen live (and like the ones you mention, their recordings do them no justice) is the avett brothers. they're from north carolina... and they're AWESOME. i'm so excited because they're coming back to dallas in late april (i saw them last november, i think it was).

anyway... highly highly recommend.