Saturday, February 23, 2008

Captain Normal has been fired.

There are moments in my life that things come into clear focus. It's not necessarily a recognizable event heralded by trumpets and song, but when it comes there is a dawn of realization that I have stumbled onto something extraordinary and yet painfully simple.

I had a moment like that this morning while running around trying to take care of a few things. Juiced up on some caffeine at a local coffee house and then decided to start on a personal journey. Maybe it was the caffeine high (probably not), but I had a very clear moment of seeing where I had stepped off of the path of who I am onto to a path of trying to please people. I was just looking at an old shirt in a store. That was all, but I seuddenly realized that I have become Captain Normal over the past several years for no other reason than trying to not look odd by other people's standards.

When did I start caring what people thought about the way that I dressed or how I acted around them? So all I have to say at this intersection in life is .. Captain Normal.. you're fired.

6 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

hahaha... i like that. i get disturbed when captain normal pops up in my life... not that i experience that very often. i'm pretty weird. but every once in a while, i find myself worried that i don't look or act or think quite right.

from now on, when that happens, maybe i'll take your cue and fire her.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I think all of us, every once in awhile, catch ourselves trying a little too hard to fit in and get pigeon holed into a toned down, dull version of what we used to be. Glad you are determined to just be yourself. From what I read in your posts, that person is pretty cool.

Avid Andy said...

good post. i think ive just fallen into going through the motions.

Mad Frenchie said...

very well expressed jj. hey so, what about some armor on the arm of the angel dude with the father's toolbox? not cheesy armor...

Avid Andy said...

what has happened to jeremy.music.life?

Martha Elaine Belden said...

z beat me to the punch... i was just about to ask...

where ya been?